Learn how to start a website like Facebook using WordPress or Bluehost social script and make, create a successful social networking site; all in 10 mins ( of initial set up).
I will be explaining and guiding you through the best way to get this done and how you can promote the site to become successful.
Please know that this is not a child’s play and if you are not ready for the commitments, upfront investment and real work, please forget about it and close your browser. But if you are serious, then get ready for an interesting tutorial.
There are practically four major ways to create a website like Facebook and they are:
- Using a third party social media networking creators e.g. Grou.ps, Ning.com, wall.fm, Mixxt.com, spruz.com ( not recommended because you are not in control, and to be honest with you, you are not the authentic owner). When you use the above mentioned platforms to create your own social network, please know that ‘ you can be shut out and everything you have labored to build all the years become waste!!)
- If you want a Facebook template clone ( i.e you want a social network that will look exactly like Facebook or nearly similar to FB, then you can check out this site for the cloning services (https://www.ncrypted.net/)
A very good example of a cloned Facebook site is VK.com ( they have nearly 75% feature of Facebook)
Again, this cloning model using script is not reliable and I personally recommend you settle with the recommended model discussed below.
- A self hosted website using WordPress.org ( this is the best model because you are in control and you own it (100%)
- Making use of Bluehost Webhosting Social networking scripts ( this is also reliable, recommended and you are in control 100% likewise)
To be fair, the first model is quite popular as some known names are making use of it, however, they are experiencing limitations to their creative instincts, including the ability to make money. Examples of social sites made using Grou.ps and Ning.com are Varpal.com and Lagbook.net. If you want the easy route and you don’t have long term plan, then you can start with this model ( then scroll down this page to learn how you can promote, market and make money from it). However, the third and fourth model model is the best because:
- You are in control of the website ( the earlier method can collapse at anytime, and you are not in total control)
- You own it, and there is no limitation to what you can add; including but not limited to money making initiatives e.t.c.
The third model is the use of WordPress and the integration of BuddyPress; this is the recommended model. The fourth model resembles the third model, but the difference is just that we are not using WordPress but social networking scripts, present in the hosting company we are using for both. Let us roll!!
How To Create a Website like Facebook Using WordPress
The steps required to start and set up your own social networking website like Facebook using WordPress is summarized with the bullet below;
- Getting a domain name and hosting it
- Getting a WordPress website template ( themes)
- Installing the Theme and required plugins to make it become “Social”
- Installing the Buddypress plugin and setting it up perfectly
- Using social media to promote the new site
Build And Create A Website like Facebook Using Social Networking Scripts
The guidelines required to have a social networking website using this fourth model is also summarized below:
- Getting a domain name and hosting it
- Installing the social networking scripts from the cpanel
- Setting and configuring the scripts
- Using social media to promote the new site
You can see that it is almost the same step. The only difference is that while you will click on WordPress icon in the web hosting provider ( Bluehost) for the installation using WordPress for the third model; you will not do so in the other model, but you will not click on the WordPress icon but locate one -click install or install scripts, then locate social networking scripts!! Taking it one by one!!
- 1# Getting a domain name and hosting it
If you look at successful social networks e.g Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Digg e.t.c; you will notice that they all have unique brand names. Their unique names represents the domain name for the site.
E.g Facebook.com, Pinterest.com, Twitter.com, Linkedin.com, badoo.com, reddit.com are all domain names for Facebook, Pinterest, twitter and Linkedin, badoo and reddit website respectively!!
Therefore, in your own case, you need to think of a short, memorable and brandable name for your domain. To do that, you have to check for various names you might be thinking for this purpose. I recommend the Bluehost domain checker as seen below: On getting a free / available name for your project, It is recommended you get it immediately at Bluehost After getting and registering the domain name, the next step is to host the domain name so that anytime people types the name on a browser, it will come live.
Both the website set up using WordPress and/or the social networking scripts requires the domain and hosting.
Bluehost is recommended for both domain name and hosting and they are the best when it comes to easily launching a website using WordPress. At this stage, I recommend you read my article on how to set up a website using WordPress ( Dont worry, it is not rocket science, the tutorial contains step by step guidelines to set up and configure the site).
- 2# Install WordPress Or The Social Networking Scripts
As can be seen above ( this is the page you will see after your domain and hosting registration is successful), this will come up after login in.
Now, if you are going with WordPress, click ” Install WordPress” and follow the online screen instructions. Again, you can read my detailed tutorials about this here. If you decide to go with the social scripts, just click on :
- Cpanel, then locate ; Install Scripts” or
- Based on the above image, just click on ” One’Click Install” or ” Install Scripts”
On the next displayed page, locate ” Social networking scripts”, click and install the scripts, then follow the online screen instructions ( image below will be helpful).
- 3# Setting and configuring the scripts ( Using the networking scripts)
At this stage for the scripts, you are done, just click on ” Install Button’ and the installation will be completed. After this, you can see your new Facebook lookalike site ( though you can change or configure it). Start adding additional features, it is as simple as A,B,C.
- 4# Getting a WordPress website template, Installing BuddyPress And Total Integration
This is where the real business lies and this is the best recommended model of building and creating a social networking website like Facebook. I am assuming you have click on the ” Install WordPress” above in the cPanel of your Bluehost hosting package.
The truth is this: You can never get the exact Facebook design, however, there are recommended website templates ( called WordPress themes) that looks like FB or offer the same functionality like FB.
In this case, after installing WordPress, your WordPress dashboard will look like this i.e after you have followed this detailed tutorial: ( See below)
From here, you need to buy premium design templates that you can use for your site design. Buy them and download the SIP files. The following are recommended top notch social networking WordPress themes:
You can get these premium themes at:
After getting this themes, just download the ZIP file, upload and install them on your site. After the successful installation, activate the themes. Once done, I say congratulations to you. At this point, you have successful set up your own social site, but that is not the end, for you to be successful and be well known, you still need to do the following.
- 5# Installing BuddyPress And Fire it up
BuddyPress plugin is a MUST used plugin if you want your new site to be social in the real context of having a social networking site. This plugin works only for the WordPress model explained above. Even with the above themes, you still need to install and activate this plugin. It is just like having a little baby without feeding the baby!! So, go over to BuddyPress plugin at WordPress.org repository ( its free), download the plugin, upload, install and activate it. Or rather, go to your plugin, click add, search for buddpyress, install and activate the plugin.
Once you have successfully installed the BuddyPress plugin, use the below image snapshot to configure it.
To be honest with you, this is all what you need to have a ” Live” site on the internet. However, if you need help, do not hesitate to drop a message on the comment section or through the contact page. Now, the next stage is the MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL!!
Promoting Your New Social Networking Website
Why do you think big companies, business, even the mighty Facebook/Google still advertises their products/services? The answer is because advertisement is the blood that sustains a business entity!! Now, this is exactly what you need to do, however, in a modest different approach. Ready, let us kick off!!
- 6# Jump on Facebook, Twitter And Google+
You get it right, you need to take the war to the heart of the battleground.
Because your website is new, nobody knows about it and to get started strong, you will still need the social media network to carry you strong.
Have you observed that all the social networks e.g. Facebook, twitter, Pinterest, Google+ all have profile on each other’s network!!! e.g. Twitter has a Facebook page; Facebook also has a twitter page!!
This is exactly what you need to do. You need to scoop some of their users, but how?
- Go to Facebook and open a Facebook page account ( with your domain name) E.g If your domain name is waves.com, then your Facebook page should be Facebook.com/waves
- Go to twitter and open a free account. Using the above example, it should be twitter.com/waves
- Do the same thing with Pinterest and Google+
However, you are going to fully concentrate on Facebook and twitter ( 99%) Facebook With your new FB page, create and have a good looking cover profile and cover, including a sound ” About” page. Create your first FB post introducing the new site. However, the main task is using Facebook Ad to get LIKES/Subscribers. Login into your account and click ” Create Ads”
- Create the first Ad to get likes
- Create the second Ad to get Subscribers ( this is important so that you can send them a mail, these people are yours forever because you will have their emails).
Focus and spend money on this strategy ( make sure you are well able to get at least 100,000 likes and 100,000 leads):
Twitter Twitter is recommended likewise. After opening the twitter account, start sharing quotes and inspirational contents. Follow people and also create Advert to get more followers ( though Twitter Advert is expensive compared to FB, personally I don’t recommend it). However, you can read my below guidelines on how I got 60,000 twitter followers in 3 months using Manageflitter. Pinterest/Google+ Do the same thing with Google+; however, you need to focus heavily on Facebook and twitter, as explained above.
- 7# Use Google Adwords and Self Promote It Yourself
I strongly believe that the website is up and running, because if it is not up and running, all these promotional strategies will be nonsense!! This step requires that you spend money on Google Adwords to start getting people to visit, sign up and be a user of the site.
- Go to Google Adwords
- Create an account and start placing adverts ( If you don’t know how to use it, then contact me or you can read about it on the web); However, it is not rocket science, you should be able to get it done by yourself.
- Use powerful and enticing title for the advert
In the world of direct marketing, one of the techniques that works extremely well is ” word of mouth”. So start applying this marketing strategies; invite your friends through email, Facebook, workplace e.t.c.
Allow me to help you!!
I have helped close to 30 people in setting up their website and blog. If you are serious about owning a site or blog based on the power of WordPress, the good news is that I will help you set it up FREE. But to get this free service,
- Make sure you have registered the domain and obtain the hosting through my Link
- Make sure you have purchased a premium website or blog template from either Mythemeshop, Genesis ( Studiopress) and or Elegant Themes
After this, send me a mail through my contact page, mentioning the domain name and hosting you’ve registered. I will set up your site/blog with the best SEO practices including:
- Installing all necessary plugins
- Fine-tuning and setting up the entire permalinks and /Menu settings
- Setting up the Search Engine optimization settings ( very important)
One thing is clear ” Success is not achieved on a platter of Gold, it is earned”: If you are serious about creating and how to start a website like Facebook , then implement all the guidelines in this tutorial, spend money and be committed to the project. Please share your views/opinions through the comment section!!