Studiopress Magazine Pro Theme Review examines why I prefer the use of this child themes for any blog or magazine website design and why it is one of the best SEO WordPress themes out there.
Read Also: Learn how to start an entertainment blog
I used this Genesis template to design madailygist.com ( initial stage, but has been changed to Newspaper themes), floorwaves.co.uk and two other websites for clients ( Scroll below):
This review is a first-hand experience on the installation, setup, examples of sites built using Magazine pro and testimonials from real and live sites.
- 1# Genesis Magazine Pro Themes – Introduction
Magazine Pro is a child theme from the Studiopress repository ( makers of Genesis framework and related WordPress child themes). It is one of the earliest designed templates from Brian Gardner( original founder of Genesis) and has since been subjected to numerous upgrades and interface re-designing.
From my numerous experience using this template, one thing remains crystal clear “it is exceptionally crafted and designed with utmost benefits in SEO to give you a natural Google SERP ranking advantages compared to your competitors!!
If you are a blogger or online business enthusiasts and want to set up a blog ( e.g. technology, Celebrity, entertainment e.t.c.) or an online magazine site or the basic content mill website ( to increase your Google Adsense earnings), then this template is recommended. I will explain
Features – Studiopress Magazine Pro WordPress Themes
- 2# Mobile Responsive Advantages
It is no longer news that majority of people browsing the internet does so from their smartphones and other mobile gadgets. That trend is set to continue.
From research, 80% of online searches are done from the mobile phones ( See the research from ofcom-Vanguard UK)
Now, what do you think will happen if you have a blog or website that cannot be viewed or accessed easily from a mobile phone or smartphone? It means you are losing relevance, money and revenue.
This is where this theme plays a major and huge role. It is perfectly designed and well optimized to give a splendid mobile responsive ( i.e mobile friendly) viewing features. Aside from viewing it very well on the laptop or PC, it shows perfectly on any type of smartphones or mobile gadgets you are using.
It automatically shifts, fits and adjusts itself to any type of phones used to view the site!!
This means your bounce rate is lowered, gives you high conversions and you are not loosing traffic at all!!
One thing you should know is that if your blog is not mobile responsive, not only will you not lose customers e.t.c. but Google will also penalize your site and demote your site.
From the past 3 years till date, the world’s biggest search engine ( Google) has been campaigning seriously that all websites should have a mobile friendly design and that they should be designed in a way that will allow for a faster loading experience.
With Magazine Pro, you are safe and!!
- 3# Built on Genesis Framework- High Security
Please, you should not forget that the Magazine Pro theme is a Genesis child themes. This means it was built and designed using the Genesis Framework.
What is the Genesis Framework?
Genesis framework is an undisputed foundation for a highly secured, search engine optimized and fast loading website designs. Top SEO professionals know and regard the Genesis framework has the most secured website/blog building block.
What this means is any site built with this theme and any other child themes from the Genesis framework has the following advantages:
- They are rock solid in terms of security. They cannot be hacked easily
- They are glossy in design; with adequate fast loading speed capabilities
Summary is this: Genesis Framework has the highest level of security ( compared to other WordPress theme providers) because of its unmatched programming and coding!!
The following are additional features you need to know
- 4# They are Retina Ready, HTML5, and Minimal
These features might look too technical for you to understand but let me break it down for you:
Minimal: If you check the theme, you will discover that it has a lot of white and grey color combination with attention to having enough space. You can’t find cluttering or a disorganize settings.
This is the meaning of a minimal design. Magazine Pro is minimal, it does not look rough, untidy and un-arranged. This feature alone makes it crystal clear and gave it the fast loading experience it has.
Retina Ready, HTML5: This means you can easily upload pictures and videos with high resolution and clarity. The HTML5 feature is the latest schema markup attribute that makes it easy for the search engines to easily crawl and love your site. makes it easy
Did you notice how glossy and sharp the theme demo looks like? It is due to the retina ready features it has.
- 5# Intelligent SEO coding and Fast Loading Experience
From my experience as an SEO consultant, I discovered that all Genesis child themes have an added advantage in terms of search engine optimization to rank higher on Google SERP than most other themes. I am not trying to boast about them, but that is the honest truth.
As a blogger likewise with an extensive network of friends who are also bloggers, this same discovery is true. Check out most results on Google first page, you will discover that 5 out of 20 websites are actually coded using the Genesis framework.
This Magazine Pro Theme review is a pointer to this honest truth about the SEO advantages in this template. it may not look fanciful with lots of colors but if you want to rank high on Google, then I recommend the Magazine Pro theme.
And also using tools.Pingdom.com, Dallas data center, I was able to get the following test page result;
As earlier stated, the minimal coding structure and design of the theme is majorly responsible for the insane loading speed of the theme.
You can check my resource on how the lists of the fastest loading WordPress themes for more information.
Magazine Pro Theme Setup And Installation
The Studiopress Genesis Magazine Pro theme is a 3 homepage widget design, comprising of 6 Layout Options, 4 Color Styles, a featured image and a custom header structure.
For the purpose of this review, I had to make use of one of my blog (ditailz.com), although, at the moment, I used Modern Portfolio theme on it, but since I have both the framework and the Magazine pro, I decided to upload and configure it for your understanding.
( If you want me to give you the Magazine Pro, link back to this article, and share to your followers on twitter and Facebook, send me a mail with this proofs and I will send the theme to YOU).
The following Video will be of needed help:
To install the theme, just follow the guidelines in the above video or you can just follow my tutorials below:
- With your recently purchased Studiopress magazine pro theme download, upload the ZIP file through the dashboard and install it ( less than 1 mins to do so). Just go to Appearance ( by the left sidebar of your WP dashboard), click on ‘Themes’, then click on new, then upload. Locate the downloaded ZIP file and upload it
- For ease of understanding, it is better to upload even the demo , then later, you can still deleting and removing those contents ( but it is not really advisable if you don’t edit and remove those contents on time)
- Using the image below, click on “widgets” from the appearance
- Now for the header right, we want to insert your Adsense ( 728 by 90) or the responsive code unit). Copy your Adsense code, drag the text box ( inside the dashboard) and drop it in the header right column ( as seen above).
- Now, paste your Adsense code into the text box, then click save. The Ad will automatically show by the time your refresh your page. if you get this right, then congratulations.
- To change the default name i.e ‘magazine Pro’ to the name of your website or blog, all you have to do is to click on “customize”. It is under the same “Appearance”. On clicking on “Customize”, under ” site identity;, change the site title from ‘Magazine pro” to your own site e.g. “ditailz”. Also, you can change the “tagline” to anything you want.
- Let us move to the next step which is the “Home Top”
- The home top section is where you have the large featured image. To get this right, drag the ‘Genesis-Featured Posts’ widget to the “Home Top’ section and use the following settings
- Under the Title, type “Featured”. Under the number of posts, choose 1. Under category, choose one category. under feature image, chose the home top 750 by 420 image size. Basically, follow the guidelines as shown above
- For the ” Home Middle Section”, use the same settings as above but with some slight difference. After dragging and dropping the “featured Posts in the ” Home middle section’. Give it a title, under Category, choose 1. Under feature image, chose ” home-middle 360-200′. And for the Alignment, chose “Left” instead of none. Everything remains the same
- For the ” Home Bottom Section’, Follow the same processes as above but under ‘Show featured image”, choose ” Thumbnail 150-150″. And for the Alignment, chose “Left” instead of none
One of my readers who linked back to this article and also share it on twitter/Google plus got my free Magazine pro theme. However, he sent me a mail and asked: how can I install magazine pro theme demo?
how to install magazine pro theme demo
Studiopress has made everything easy for you to do and achieve. They have a basic tutorial on how you can import the demo of any Genesis child themes, you can get the tutorial here
However, let me give you a brief explanation.
After buying and you have download the ZIP file. Go to the ZIP file ( where you have downloaded it), unzip the file and you will see something like this ” XML folder”. This is where the demo contents are being stored.
All you have to do is to import the demo contents from this XML folder to your site. The following video will be of great help.
And to one important question?
How can I add the Email newsletter as shown below:
To add the Email Newsletter as shown above, follow the guidelines below:
- You will need to install a plugin and it is called the ” Genesis eNews Extended”. Go to WordPress. org repository and download the plugin. After, upload and install it.
- Then, you can make use of Google Feedburner ( https://feedburner.google.com/) . Using the plugin and Feedburner is all that you need. After installing the plugin, follow the instructions and you will get the exact site as the demo above.
Important Plugins that are important for the theme to work excellently?
The following are important plugins that you need to install that will work with the theme or that will make the theme look exactly like the demo above.
- Genesis eNews Extended ( mentioned above)
- Yoast SEO WordPress plugin
- Genesis Simple Social Icons
- Genesis Simple Share
- Mailpoets Plugin ( very important, but optional if you decide to use Google’s Feedburner)
Examples of Live Website using Studiopress Genesis Magazine Pro Theme
The following are examples of websites and blogs currently using the themes:
More live websites will be added on a continuous basis!!
With this review of Magazine Pro WordPress themes, I am more than convinced it is a very good template. I recommend you buy and install it.
The only disadvantage I can say is that it may not look fanciful or loaded with various colors as expected of a magazine template, but aside from this, It is a highly optimized theme that will help you in increasing your online revenue. Trust me!!
You can get it here: Studiopress magazine pro theme download