This tutorial and detailed guidelines on how to start a food blog, create, build and run a successful foodie site is a simple, easy and yet complete package to launch, set up and own a great, delicious, cooking and recipe blog. Before starting off, I’m pretty assuming that you love cooking, probably you are a chef, and you’ve been thinking of starting and launching your own online recipe, dessert blog.
Recommended to read: The best Top 10 WordPress Food themes
Various reasons exist for this decision of yours, from thinking of showing your deserts , cooking skills, cakes, expertise etc., or simply you want to land and start a food website for consulting purposes, showcase your ability to handle party events, food contract supply, cakes etc.
To achieve and start a food blog is easy and will probably take you less than 30minutes to get started.
Before reading ahead; first, get a free domain name and a huge discount (USD3.34) on your monthly blog hosting. Domain name typically costs around 30USD yearly, but with my link below at bluehost, you will get it free and a great discount ( its usually 7.89 per month without discount). After this, send me a mail through my contact page and I will help you set up everything.
Ready, click here: Get your free domain name and discounted monthly web host at Bluehost
This blog post tutorial will show you detailed step by step guidelines to start your own recipe or food blog, how to set it up and get it started, ways to make it successful, plus additional search engine optimization ( SEO) tips you will need to make money, grow your influence, make it known and achieve your heart desire/stated goals.
Basic summary of what you need:
I highly recommend you read: Complete Guidelines to starting and setting up a Blog
Proven Steps on how to start a food blog successfully
- 1# Name of your blog
The name you will give the blog is important, the name is also referred to as the domain of the blog. E.g. you can call it your name or basically a brand name e.g. crokieandKatie, Pinchofyum. Just think of a name that will represent your brand and long term success. After this you need to check if the name (domain ) is still available for registration and ownership. Most domain ends in either .org, .com, .net, .info extensions ( e.g. bloggingconsult.org); so , chose the one that fits into what you want. To get started, I recommend that you go to bluehost and check for the availability and once available, buy it immediately.
Go to Bluehost and check now
- 2# how to start a food blog-Host the blog
By hosting the available name you bought in step 1 means you are buying a space on the World Wide Web to have your content displayed on internet browsers.
while there are so many unreliable and unsecured web host out there, I simply recommend that you go with the same bluehost; they have proven track record and host millions of happy bloggers on their platform.
With Bluehost, hosting plan can start for as low as 4.95USD per month. A reliable, cheap web-hosting company, like Bluehost offers the following qualities and advantages:
- Free domain name registration once you host on their platform
- Highly level of security
- unlimited email accounts
- Automated backups ( also advisable that you have own backup ends e.g. use backup WP Plugin)
- Easy access to support
- blog uptime should be more than the downtime
I highly recommend that you host your new food blog with Bluehost. Get started now
Recommended videos to help you out:
Please read this before going to step 3 below
- 3# Title of the Blog
E.g. name of my blog is bloggingconsult.org; the title is “Blog and SEO Consultant’, while my Byline is ‘ SEO guidelines to grow your website”. For example, you can give your blog this title “ No 1 food training resource and tutorials”. Check the following food blogs and notice their title:
- A food blog with simple and tasty recipes – Pinchofyum.com
- Food photography blog – whiteonricecouple.com
- Jens favourite cookies/recipes – jensfavoritecookies.com
- Whole foods and vegetarian recipe blog – cookiesandkatie.com
Please note, your title is very important for both search engine visibility, easy ranking on Google ( Google gives this a very high priority) and its a representation of your brand. During the setting up of your blog ( as seen below), chose a good title and byline
- I recommend you watch this video below to learn how to change your password, change the design ( theme) e.t.c.
- 4# Chose a good layout design
After the installation as seen below, you will need to change/ adjust the design template to fit into what you desire. In other words, you will buy a premium wordpress theme.
Examples of recommended wordpress food themes
Once you chose one, buy it , download the ZIP file and have it installed.
- 5# Post Installation Settings
After installing the blog and the new design; the following settings should be done and the below plugins should be installed.
- Change the permalink structure
- Chose a preferred domain settings e.g. www.bloggingconsult.org; or bloggingconsult.org
Plugins to install
- Pinterest Pin it button
- Related Post Plugin
- W3 Total Cache
- Wordfence Security Plugin
- Yoast Wordpress SEO plugin
- XML Sitemap Plugin
- Social media widget plugin
Create the following page
- Contact Page
- About me page
And in addition;
- 6# Create Email Subscription form
Successful bloggers and web publishers believed strongly in having a solid, dependable and reliable email marketing and subscription services. The usual adage is ‘ the money is in the list’; this is true, as a successful blog should have a database of its subscribers, readers and should be able to reach them in due times, for update, new desserts, cakes e.t.c. The best email marketing services I recommend is GetResponse.
Sign up for their free trial now, and experiment with their awesome and reliable service.
5 steps to become successful with your new Food or recipe Blog
As part of measures on how to start a successful food blog, there are lots of factors involved which will be summarized below with options to recommended links to read for additional understanding. The following are summary of steps to take and what to do:
- Quality Pictures
Use a high, quality, high resolution, clean pictures and images of your desserts, meals, cakes e.t.c. you want to display on the blog; I highly recommend that you read and understand about how to get quality pictures for your blog.
I recommend you get this eBook from Lindsay on Food Photography
- Create quality blog post
This is the most important aspect; first to the satisfaction of your readers and also to the endorsement of quality from the search engines, especially Google. A high quality content should be original, free of duplicate content, convincing, well and neatly written ( with right punctuations, comma, bullet e.t.c). The food blog content should be from 500-1500 words, contain pictures.
For your food blog to be successful and rank high on Google search engines, please try and endeavor to make sure your contents and articles are helpful, informative, resourceful, interesting and educative
I recommend the below articles for more understanding:
- 5 steps your blog post can be on first page of Google search
- Top five highly recommended best keyword research tools
- 5 Modern SEO tools to rank high and be on Google first page
- Tips to Write Successful Blog Posts and Draw in More Readers
- Try and read the above contents on quality blog posts, it will really help your quest!!
- Get Credible backlinks and promote your new blog wisely
Backlinks are the main and vital organic blood your new blog needs to survive, outperform competitors and do well in terms of getting you money, increasing and influencing your reach/popularity and being on Google’s first page.
Immediately after setting up and launching your blog, create a page, using the name of the new site on:
- Google+, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest ( the most important out of them all), LinkedIn; invite your friends, colleagues, relations and enemies to join your social media accounts
- Once any new blog post is published, share them on the above social media networks
- Strive and getting credible and high quality backlinks
Recommended to read:
- 5 safe ways to build and get backlinks to a new website and blog
- Links from Google penalty blogs-5 ways to know a healthy backlinks
- 11 bad backlinks to avoid that decrease your google search rankings
And finally, the below point!
- Join Related Food blog communities and social bookmarking sites
Social bookmarking sites are still being espected, and being on them gives your new blog an upper edge to rank high on Google, I recommend you read:
Recommended to read: Top 10 best social bookmarking sites with high PR
Join recommended and related food blogging communities; aside this, take time out to know about other food bloggers and learn from them likewise. The following are recommended forums, communities and food bloggers:
- Google+ Food Communities
- Biz BloggingBuz
Allow me to help you FREE OF CHARGE!!
I have helped close to 30 people in setting up their website and blog. If you are serious about owning a site or blog based on the power of WordPress, the good news is that I will help you set it up FREE. But to get this free service,
- Make sure you have registered the domain and obtain the hosting through my Link
- Make sure you have purchased a premium website or blog template from eitherMythemeshop, Genesis ( Studiopress) and or Elegant Themes
After this, send me a mail through my contact page, mentioning the domain name and hosting you’ve registered. I will set up your site/blog with the best SEO practises including:
- Installing all necessary plugins
- Fine-tunning and setting up the entire permalinks and /Menu settings
- Setting up the Search Engine optimization settings ( very important)
Conclusion and Recommendation
Thank you for taking your time to read through this blog post on how to start a successful food blog, recipe, cooking and drink site, I hope the explanation is helpful. Don’t wait, start Now