Learn how to open, make, create and run an entertainment blog and website like tmz, eonline, variety, imdb, perez hilton e.t.c! Please note that to build and start a successful entertainment website like a political blog/website is not rocket science and at the same time, it is not for the faint in heart.
It is for the serious and committed entrepreneur who is ready to work hard, commit resources upfront and remain dedicated to the cause.
This tutorial features all the technicalities you need to know, setting up the blog and practical steps you need to take to make the site successful.
- Getting Started
There are 3 stages involved in starting this project; they are
- Action Plans ( self- examination)
- Technical requirements ( I will explain in simple terms with pictures)
I will be focusing more on the technical and promotional requirements, but let me quickly run a brief summary on the first requirement which is the action plan ( also known as self-examination).
- 1# Action Plans ( self- examination)
Africa’s richest man, Aliko Dangote once said ” the secret of my business success is that I never invest or get involved in a business I don’t know about”.
Having the burning desire to launch a website or blog like eonline, tmz e.t.c. is the first step out of about 20 steps you need to take to be successful. The following points are issues you must tackle or questions you must answer before setting out.
Have the Passion
You must have the passion in the project you are about to launch. How do you know you have the passion? The proof of passion is “pursuit” and addiction to anything entertainment. If you discover that you are willing to pursue it rigorously and invest in it, then it means you have the success passion for it. If you don’t have the passion, trust me, the blog or website will die within one year!!
Have a business plan
Successful business magnate always have a business plan. Don’t just have the passion, buy domain name and launch the site. Your plan should involve both short term and long term objectives. How will you fund the site? How will you get the news? You should have a goal of probably having a particular number of followers on Facebook, twitter, Instagram e.t.c. Again, do you have a plan of bringing investors to kick off? Will the site still be standing if you don’t make profit in the first year?
Sit down like a professional and make plans!!
Be Creative and set action in Motion
Why is TMZ, Eonline, Perez hilton, Buzzfeed successful? It is because the founders were creative and they set… Click To Tweet
Remember, until you move, nothing moves!!
Lay down your goals, bookmark this page, link back to this resource page ( you will need it for reference later on), get domain/hosting, invest time, energy and your money in it.
- Technical Requirements
Don’t be afraid of this term because it is not really technical. Before anybody can be able to search for your website or type in the name of your blog on browsers, there are certain steps you need to take. I will be explaining all these things in order for you to save some money from website/blog designers and also so that you can learn how to do it all by yourself.
You need the following:
- A domain name
- A web hosting for the domain name
- WordPress Installation/Themes and Plugins Installation
An explanation below!!
- 2# A Domain Name
You need to get your own domain name. The simple explanation of a domain name is illustrated below:
The websites www.tmz.com, www.eonline.com, www.perezhilton.com, www.imdb.com and variety.com all have the domain names tmz.com, eonline.com, perezhilton.com, imdb.com and variety.com respectively.
So, if you want your website to be www.mynameisjane.com; then you need to buy and get the domain ” mynameisjane.com; Important features of the name to use includes:
- It should be short and memorable
- Unique, easy to spell and pronounce
However, you need to check if the name is freely available, then you can buy it immediately. The below form is helpful:
- 3# Web Hosting For The Domain Name
Once you are done with the registration of the domain, it is advisable you host the domain name, so that it will be active and viewable ( don’t worry if it is blank, you can start adding contents or put noindex on it so that Google or other search engines will not crawl it yet).
A proof of your seriousness about launching an entertainment website or blog is getting the domain name and hosting it immediately. I have been using Bluehost Webhosting company and also I have been recommending them to all my clients ( with no reported issues or problem).
Bluehost is recommended for hosting your entertainment blog because:
- You get a free domain name if you sign up with Bluehost ( saving you approximately 30USD per year)
- Their hosting starts from USD3.59 per month and you scale it as your site grows and traffic increases
- They are recommended from the main WordPress.org repostory and founder
- They are reliable with professional customer support.
- 3# Install WordPress, WordPress Themes And Needed Plugins
For the design outlook, the answer is the use of WordPress software. At present, WordPress powers more than 65% of sites globally. To get started is easy.
- You will need to get premium WordPress themes at either Mythemeshop, Genesis, Themeforest; Download the ZIP files and then upload to your site ( See examples below):
Please note that when you make purchase for the webhosting, Bluehost will ask you if WordPress is what you need for the installation, click on the WordPress logo and follow the instructions. Check out this guidelines and the Video below.
Though, you might get confused on how to proceed; I wrote a detailed guideline on how to set up a Website using WordPress ( Please read it; it is rich and contains full pictures and explanation on all technical terms). Not clear? you can reach out to me through my contact page.
Once done, you need to set up the following important PAGES ( Not Post!!):
- About Page
- Contact Page
- Dsclaimer Policy Page
- DMCA, Terms of service and Disclosure Pages
I encourage you to read the above links because from there, you will get to see, understand and install important/necessary WordPress plugins that will power your site in becoming a full fledged entertainment blog or website.
At this point, I must say this is everything you need to do to set up and launch the site. But that is not the end, the next step talks about how you can promote the site and what you must put in place to turn the new site to a successful entertainment blog you desire.
How To Make An Entertainment Blog And Website Successful
An athlete does not get rewarded for starting a race but for ending the race!!
This is absolutely the most important stage, because without this stage, everything will just be dormant. At this stage, you will need to work hard, smart, invest money and be seriously committed.
- 4# Traffic Weapon – Use Facebook, Twitter and others
When creating your entertainment website, please note that the underlying secret recipe to your success is traffic. You need to be getting thousands and even million of web traffic per month. But just starting and relying on Google will not fly because it will take up to 3 years before the traffic will start coming.
The secret is to leverage on the use of the world’s biggest social networking website, Facebook. But how, you might ask?
- As stated earlier, I am assuming that your domain name is ” mynameisjane”; so, go to Facebook.com, open business page with this name ( this is important because of branding advantage and long term relevance).
- This means that your FB page will be something like Facebook.com/mynameisjane
- Create a beautiful Facebook cover picture and profile image
- Write an entertaining about page
- Leverage on the use of Facebook Ad to start building an audience
- To do that, click on FB Ad, upload a beautiful image ( you need to design this, don’t ever use the default image FB will recommend), give it a title, brief intro and the trick is;
- Target the followers of a “celebrity’ as your interest and chose your preferred country of choice
For example, I boosted a post on one of my viral websites ( please note that this is boost, in your own case, it is getting more likes):
Check out my audience and interest!!
You can also boost any of your entertainment posts that has tendency to go viral ( this is after you have nothing less than 100k Likes). For help on this, you can hire me for your social media campaign.
After building the audience, you can start sharing your posts on Facebook and you will be surprised with the tons of traffic you will be getting.
This is the secret of all those big websites out there ( just check out the number of FB likes of these sites!!)
Do the same process for Twitter using the domain name. Go to twitter.com and open a free account using the exact name. Upload a beautiful cover and profile picture.
Start following the followers of a particular celebrity and you will be surprised at how fast they will follow you back. Successful twitter users with massive followers invested money. For example, I was able to build and get 60.5k twitter followers in 5 months using Managefliter ( See my review ).
For twitter Ads, check out ads.twitter.com to make use of their services ( but note, it is expensive).
- 5# Report Breaking Entertainment News First
I know it might be difficult, so, be on the watch and remain vigilant.
- 6# Your Content
Aside disappointing them, having and regularly publishing unique contents and/or news is a major requirement for success in this niche. You can start this journey by yourself, but as you start growing, you need to hire more hands ( e.g. your husband, wife, children, then gradually a paid staff).
Bonus tips on the issue of content is summarized below:
- Spy on your competitors ( Study their model, style, advertisement model e.t.c.)
- For example, let us assume that Buzzfeed published a piece titled ” Barack Obama said he would have won the election against Donald Trump”; you can published an updated/re-written content but with another captivating caption like ” OMG: Obama Said Donald Trump Is No Match For Him, See Why He Said This”
- Engage and mix up with the writers on other entertainment blogs. Even share some of the contents on your social site. e.t.c.
- 7# Be SEO Compliant
SEO means search engine optimization. To be honest with you, you still need the search engines ( especially Google). To achieve this, you need to optimize each of your posts and generally optimize your entire website.
I recommend you read:
- 8 SEO tips to get organic Google traffic from USA visitors and American blogs
- How to rank on first page of Google without backlinks or link building
SEO is simple, just read the article above and implement the recommendations.
- 8# Have a Business Plan
Honestly, you need to sit down and draft out your strategy. Your strategy should include the money you will spent upfront, hours of work, how to manage the social media campaigns, short and long term objectives, how will I make money ( explained below) and when should I start making money ( measuring your ROI) e.t.c.
Once you have all these things in writing, you can then proceed with the project.
But honestly, if you have money, your money can work and walk for you by hiring people like me to set up the site, manage your social media campaign and achieve faster result!!
How To Make Money With An Entertainment Website
The number one (1) model of making money in this niche is PPC ( Pay Per Click); and the trusted leader is Google Adsense. Entertainment Behemoth makes millions of money every month using this model.
- So, sign up for Google here and insert their codes on your site.
- Press Release: This is the winning model of Buzzfeed; you can accept and write on Press release from brands, celebrities , companies on your website e.t.c.
- Direct Advertisement: Create and Advertisement page, targeting corporations, Multinationals that they should advertise on your blog. But remember, you should have your traffic statistics, social media followers details with you.
I can help you, but get the hosting at Bluehost through my link above and probably get the recommended premium design templates.!!
I am glad that you have just read how to start and create an entertainment website. It doesn’t matter if you are an entertainer, the major requirement is the passion, commitment, hard work and monetary investment that will make the difference.