This tutorial is a practical demonstration on how to design a blog using WordPress theme. You should understand the fact that blog designing is not rocket science and as such, you should relax and read through this guideline.
The reason for this is because when you initially buy your domain name and hosting successfully; and your blog becomes live, it does not look okay at all and it does not also reflect the sort of blog niche outlook you prefer. This guideline show what you have to adjust, how to modify and change it to reflect your niche choice etc.
Congratulations of making up your mind to start and launch your own blog, I am pretty sure that you have chosen the name you are going to give to the blog, the domain name also and all other things being equal.
Factors that determines the Design Structure and Layout
- 1# Purpose
You should know the niche you are venturing into. If you want to become a fashion blogger, celebrity blogger or just an entertainment online personality; this approach determines the type of design you are going to use.
- 2# Branding
Branding is an important concept in the world of business. The same thing applies to a blog. If your aim is to create a business out of your blog and if you really want to focus on your blog for the longer term, then you need to brand it from the beginning.
Branding of the blog takes into concept the type of logo you want to use, colors of the background, text etc; including but not limited to the overall layout structure. But most importantly is the name you will give the blog and the choice of your domain name. You can read how to choose and select the right domain name for your blog through this post I published yesterday.
- 3# Cost
Good and quality things in life are not free.
Basically, for you to have and own a professionally looking design for your blog, then you are going to spend money to get what is called Premium WordPress themes. They are premium because they cost money and they are from reputable companies.
Their prices range from USD30-USD129, depending on your choice. You can get these templates from the below company;
So, to get your preferred choice, go the above mentioned websites, search for the niche you are looking e.g fashion, technology etc and various designs will be displayed. view the demos and select the perfect one.
Practical Steps to design your blog
For practical examples, I will be choosing a finance blogging niche. So, let us start
- 4# Choose the right WordPress themes
WordPress themes are also known as website template, so depending on your chosen niche, the first step is to search and look for the right theme to use. Since we are looking at a personal financial niche, so, our focus would be to look for a premium WordPress theme that will fit the purpose required.
For example, let us assume I chose the following theme
As earlier explained above, you can get these themes and more templates at the above address ( also seen below)
- So, once you buy the theme/template, you will download what is called ZIP file. On Mythemeshop and studiopress, it is only the ZIP file that you need, but on themeforest, their own ZIP file contains all accompanying files ( unless you chose to download ‘WordPress Files only’ during the process of downloading it after making payment).
- For the steadyincome above, I only download the ZIP file
- Please note that all templates/themes always have demo. so, for a starter, it is advisable to download the ZIP file and upload the demo as seen on the merchant site ( where you bought it from). Different companies have different ways of showing/allowing you to upload the overall demo contents. In some, the demo is inside the ZIP file, whereas in some, it is not there ( you will find it inside your dashboard i.e where you purchased it from)
- Also, note that , all the companies have detailed tutorials ( written tutorials and videos) on how you can download the ZIP file, upload it, upload the demo etc; the guidelines from Studiopress and Mythemeshop are top notch and that is why they are my number one choices.
- All the merchants all have a support desk, where you can ask questions and guidelines if things seems to get clouded before you
For an easy understanding, I suggest you watch the three ( 3) videos below
6. After uploading the themes, your first port of call is your widget ( found on the left hand side of your dashboard); from here, you can set up and configure your homepage ( most important)
7. For most homepages ( just like steadyincome above), the designs are static, and it is from the widgets that you can adjust and modify if there is need for it.
8. But on some blogs, once you open the homepage, you will start seeing posts; the themes used is either like that or they configured it to be like that. For example, if I do not want steadyincome above to look like that and just want my blogs posts to start showing on the homepage, I will simply adjust it ( see the below picture on how to do it). Go to settings and click on reading.
9. Every customization you want to do, including menu settings, pages and categories can be seen and adjusted from the widgets.
- 5# Menu Settings, Pages and Categories
Your menu is an important and integral part of your overall design and configuration. It is from the menu that you have the various navigation links, including ‘Home’, Contact, About, Advertisement etc. Basically, the menus are located at the header, just below the blog logo.
See the below image of my own menu
To set up your menus, go to your widget, under appearance, you will see ‘Menu’s; click on it and start with the configuration.
you can watch the video below on how to set up your menu and pages!!
If you need any help and assistance, do reach out to me through the contact page. ThanksNote: In the spirit of full disclosure, I am an affiliate marketer for Bluehost and this post contains an affiliate link of the company. I may get a commission if you decide to purchase anything from Bluehost and other recommended products. I only recommend products & systems that I use and love myself, so I know you’ll be in good hands.