We are in a jet age and one of the ways to easily make it in today’s world is to have an online business. I invite you to learn how to create an online business, start and build it to a successful entity.
I categorized online business into three models:
- An online business in which you depend on the third party for earnings
- An online business in which you offer services
- An online business where you sell products ( digital and physical products)
It is important we have a firm, crystal clear understanding on these three; and the following discussions/guidelines really explains it all.
- #1 An online business in which you depend on the third party for earnings
This approach is by far the most common method. If you base your online business model around this approach, it is good, however, you don’t have much say when it comes to the long-term benefits and sustenance. This is what I mean.
Many people have websites and blogs, and they probably write contents/articles, run news site e.t.c.; from statistics, 98% of such people gets their revenue/income or earnings from big third party services. Examples of such third party service providers includes:
- Contextual Advertising
The use of Google Adsense, Chitika, Media.net Ads are all examples of contextual advertisement. The beauty behind this is that they are the ones that will provide the adverts; all you have to do is to display their Advertisement on your website/blog and earn something.
Based on contextual advertising, I recommend you read; How to create A Google Adsense Website, Make Money And Build A Passive Income
- Affiliate Marketing
Affiliate marketing has much more weight than the contextual form of advertisement. There are credible affiliate networks out there you can easily join and then promote selected products. This is how it works; once you are accepted into a program/affiliate program; you just have to promote the products of such affiliate network.
Affiliate marketing works best if you concentrate on a particular niche ( with buying potential)
For a much more understanding about the online business that you can earn from the third party, I recommend you read my well-researched post below.
The disadvantage to the above model is this: Google Adsense can ban your account at anytime; the affiliate network can close their shop/business overnight. In summary, you don’t control them, they control your earnings, you literally depend on them; you have to wait till they send you your payment!!
And from my own assessment, you can’t really build a long term profitable business on that!!
But please, don’t get me wrong, I know of people that are making millions of dollars per year from this model ( Hubpages), and even people like Scott DeLong makes an approximate 100,000USD every week. See how they do it
This model is recommended if you are just starting out and is also recommended if you are a good writer.
On a second note, I know of people that have embraced some proven models, established a blog and are actually making money (-3-6 figures per month- if you are interested in opening a niche blog, you can check out the following category)
Recommend Affiliate networks with good ratings/reviews are:
The second model:
- #2 An online business in which you offer services
This second model and the third model is where the real money lies. One of the secrets to making money is to find a need and fill it. This is exactly what service providers does and they make hell lots of money.
This business model has lots of potential, both for the short term and long term gain. It is especially recommended for people with special skills that people all over the world are in need of.
I know of so many people that built their online business empire on this simple phenomenal.
- See this post of mine where I listed and share how bloggers are making money through freelance writing and offering services on their site
- See how this lady made USD21000 by offering twitter profile design customization ( http://www.twelveskip.com/)
- People are on fiverr.com, 99designs.com, freelancer.com, upwork.com; and they are making money through the skills they have. Though I don’t like this approach because you will not really make quality money. The best approach is to have your own professional blog or website.
- For example, I also offer blog and website design services, SEO Consulting expertise and I make money from all these.
The secret of success in this model is that you have to be an expert in something and then offer services to the global village with this skill of yours.
If you are a banker, a basketball coach, a chef, a financial expert, motivational speaker, copywriter e.t.c; create a site or blog for this purpose and offer your services on it!!
All you have to do is to sit down and sincerely ask yourself what you can offer, write it down and then move to the next level on how to go about it!
- #3 An online business in which you are into sales
This third model is the best model because it has sustenance ability, you are in charge and thirdly, you make cool and quality money.
Some of the things you can sell includes:
- Online courses/skills – check out Udemy ( www.udemy.com) and how people are making money
- Open an e-commerce website/online shop – and sell anything you can imagine
- Sell eBooks/Any digital downloads ( Check out e-junkie for inspiration); e-junkie.com
I highly recommend you chose this model because you will get much more satisfaction and get quality high ROI.
The next step for us to take now is to determine how you can kick off your online business ideas, set up everything, do all necessary steps to make it become successful.
10 Steps on how to create an online business, start and build a successful one
From experience, I discovered that any business worth doing needs an initial upfront investment; In essence, if you are really serious about starting and creating your online business, I strongly recommend you get ready to invest some little dollars to get started.
Now, let us proceed!!
To start this business, you need
- #4 A domain name and web hosting
A domain name is literally the name people will use to search and hook up with you online. An example of domain names are google.com, bloggingconsult.org, twitter.com e.t.c.; my candid advice is to search and look for a domain name that is short, unique and signifies a brand.
I highly recommend you search if the domain is available and buy it straightaway; check out BLUEHOST
once you are able to get the perfect domain name, the next step is to host the domain name. To do this, I also recommend Bluehost ( The reason is because they have various level of packages you can start with, it is affordable and most importantly, you are entitled to a free domain. you will not pay for the name).
I recommend you chose BLUEHOST
- #5 Set up Your website And Fire Up The SEO Settings
One of the essences of this write is to make you become the master of your own destiny when it comes to this online stuff. There is no rocket science anywhere except if you are not ready to make research and learn.
All that you are trying to set up is based on WordPress and because of this, it is important you follow the below guidelines:
- Get a Premium WordPress Theme, buy your preferred design, download the ZIP and install it:
Recommend Website design templates are:
I wrote and published a comprehensive guideline on how to start a website and set it up completely; I recommend you read the tutorial-( I explained everything in simple language).
And if you are looking to set up an e-commerce website with the sole aim of selling physical items ( and you don’t want to bother yourself with all technicalities, invoicing problems, the collection of your money e.t.c., I recommend you check out Shopify.
- #6 Leverage on Search Engines And Social media to drive targeted traffic to your website
How do you drive traffic from Google ( the main and most important search engine):
- Add and verify your site to Google search console
- Write and publish quality, exceptional and original contents on your website ( using the blog section and in some cases, the news section)
- Learn about SEO and how to be on Google first page
- Avoid Google penalty triggers
And the second approach is by spending some little funds:
- Leverage on the use of Pay-per-click (PPC) advertising on Google Adwords
The use of PPC is recommended if you are just starting out and also when you are fully established. First, it helps you bring in the traffic without having to wait for Google organic traffic. Secondly, the use of PPC opens your eyes to keyword optimization because you will be able to test various keywords, know which one works best and based on this, you can plan a sound advertisement that delivers strong ROI.
Now, to the second aspect of using social media to drive targeted traffic; this is my favorite because you spend a little money to get started. I recommend you open a free account on Facebook and twitter using your domain name ( this is important for branding).
After this, build your follower base, I recommend you read the following article on how to go about this and its importance:
- #7 how to create an online business – Be the Best Copywriter
A professional copywriter knows the importance of writing a copy that sells. You need to hire a copywriter that can write compelling, call to action copy statements that will literally turn your visitors into customers.
Take pragmatic approach on your homepage by incorporating a captivating copy that is sure bound to attract your landing visitors.
Summary of what is expected in the copy includes:
- Add testimony page ( You can add a standalone page) or you can just create a testimonial page on your home page or the landing page you chose.
- Describe how your product solves that particular problem with precise and short informative summary
- Establish your authority as someone who is an expert on this ( make yourself credible)
- Use a powerful, attractive and call to action headline
- Give a vivid explanation of the product and the many benefits a buyer will get from it ( you can also use Video narration in this regard)
- Offer money back guarantee
- Present an irresistible offer
- Create an atmosphere of urgency and lastly create a call to action sales button/request
And the below point is also of importance
- #8 Leverage on E-mail Marketing and convert your visitors into paying customers
Successful online business owners don’t joke with email leads. When you create and open your online website, it is important you have an opt-in form ( also called subscription form). This is important so as to be able to get and gather the emails of visitors landing on your website.
This step is one of the most important online lessons I got when starting out, and believe me, it works.
You can create a subscription form using Google free service ( Google Feedburner) or by using premium service providers like GetResponse. Some of the privileges you get when your customers/visitors subscribes to you includes but not limited:
- You are creating a bond and long term relationship with them
- When you send offers, emails or updates; it is easier for you to track and measure the responses
- Thirdly, e-mail marketing when done right has been proven to be effective; It is cheaper and cost effective compared to TV Ads or radio advertisement.
- #8 Be Committed To After-Sales, Back-end Sales, And Upselling
According to research, if a satisfied customer/clients buy a product/services from you; there is 98% assurance/guarantee that they will buy from you again.
This works very well if you are able to follow them up with email.
Professional and big time online websites that are into services/sales don’t joke with after sales of their products. They also have a dedicated customer care service and a 24 hours contact page.
Do the same and you are on your way to having a successful online business!!
How do you use back-end selling and upselling to get your customers to buy from you again or solicit your services again?
- Make it a custom by sending them electronic loyalty coupons; With this, they will be able to redeem it during their next visit ( this act keeps them engaged and they will continue to check back on you)
- On their check out page or ‘Thank You Page’; try and offer them related products.
One thing is certain, if you reward your customers and clients for their loyalty, they will become much more loyal!!
Looking on how to create an online business? just follow this steps and you are on your way to owning a successful business. Be committed to the goal and purpose and you will soon start smiling.
Confused, send me your questions through the comment section.